Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter - Parameterized Digital Drum Synthesizer
The Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter is a 10hp parameterized digital drum synthesizer with its roots in the analog world. At its heart it is a simple six oscillator additive synthesizer with adjustable waveform, harmonic spread and decay. Adjustable attack including a noise oscillator is also included. These are summed and fed into an infinifolder for crunch and variety.
Basimilus Iteritas Alter is an improved version of the discontinued Basimilus Iteritas. BIA is 2hp smaller, includes CV off switches, adds a third mode, pitch range and knobs now offset rather than attenuate.
• Pitch - The Pitch knob and CV inout adjusts the pitch of the fundamental oscillator. This is a 1V / 8VA standard input. The knob sums with the CV input
• Decay - The Decay knob and CV input adjust the decay for all oscillators. The knob offsets the CV input
• Attack - The Attack knob and CV input adjust the attack for all oscillators. When left of centre, noise is added. When dead centre, a classic analog-style pop is produced. When right of centre, the knob slows the attack. The knob offsets the CV input
• Morph - The morph knob and CV control the waveform of all oscillators. This blends through sine, triangle, saw and square continuously. The knob offsets the CV input
• Fold - The Fold knob and CV control the infinifold section. For the first 3/4s of the range this sets the threshold of the folder. This folder will dynamically add multiple fold stages to maximise the amount of folding based on the fold threshold and signal amplitude. When the control is in the top quarter of its range, a pulse train based on the signal is mixed in to give even more harmonic content. The knob offsets the CV input
• Harmonic - The Harmonic knob and CV control the harmonic decay of the oscillators. When fully left, only one oscillator is audible. This simulates many simple analog bass drums. As the parameter is increased more harmonics blend in lasting longer periods of time. The knob offsets the CV input. Fully left the tone produced is a simple harmonic tone. From there to the first quarter of a second tone fades in. The remaining turning extends first the decays then the amplitudes of the other four harmonics.
• Spread - The Spread knob and CV control the frequency spacing of the oscillators. This allows the overtone series to vary from a purely harmonic to very inharmonic
• Skin / Liquid / Metal - The mode switch selects between the three modes. Skin is a six-operator additive synth for tonal sounds. Liquid is a six operator additive synth with a pitch envelope to add extra kick. Metal is a six operator FM synth for producing noisy and alien sounds. This setting can be controlled by CV into the S/L/M jack
• Bass / Alto / Treble - The range switch offsets the pitch by two octaves in Alto mode and four octaves in Treble mode relative to bass mode. This setting can be controlled by CV in the B/A/T jack
• Trigger - The trigger input triggers the start of a drum sound. It is a rising-edge trigger which has a threshold of around 3V
• Hit - The Hit switch allows one to manually trigger the Basimilus Iteritas Alter
• Out - The output is a low-impedance audio source. The output varies significantly based on the parameterization as compensation for loudness occurs